Anphabe

Connecting opportunities
hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmWJrUr98qKellJ--oJvSpZbWnaeg0dPXytrJvrPJntaFxd3bz9PHlXbJpc-h1Fhr2XKcb1qe26OXp52oo1p0pZ9hYmqFqJ-Vqailx3-f0ptZn6tuZpyH1MLWxc_ZhmvCc5Sd3eDh

Answers

Topic:

PLAN YOUR CAREER EFFECTIVELY

Career planning needs time and serious preparation as there are many important things to consider. How do you plan your career? What do you want to achieve in the next three, five or ten years? Talk to Anphabe.com’s Advisor, Mr. Chris Harvey – CEO of VietnamWorks and Navigos Seach to get best tips for career planning.

Advisor:

Chris Harvey's picture

Chris Harvey

Founder & CEO
ITviec.com

Timing:

The discussion is open from 15-12-2011 to 19-01-2012

The advisor answered on 16-01-2012

Which path to go?

Answer6 hZWZl5Vml2yXlZeExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hycKBXpaiZrKmhqKCHa6RqnHJYl6OnnNaslc2UWZ-rbmSch5WVlJyEoddqmXOGxMXX09iQnspToZugZmvjtQ..
Rosie Vu's picture

Hi Mr. Harvey,

I've seen this topic since the first day and feel really grateful that Anphabe has chosen this the topic in discussion with advisor. I myself think that this is very helpful for all members of Anphabe to get advice from you about career planning, one of the biggest concerns to everybody. That is why I was going to ask my own question on that first day, however, for some reasons, I decided to take more time to think again and again more thoroughly before I really ask my question. I have to say sorry first for making this question pretty long, because I will be asking for my own situation. Thank you so much in advance for taking your valuable time on it!

It is clear that career planning needs time and serious preparation. Besides, making a decision to follow that career plan after that is also another big deal, because there might be some changes that affect our plan due to changes in the economic situation, international cooperation chances for example, or personal reasons, etc. Now, let me just get to the point.

For me, I have a big Love for Hotels, resorts, restaunrants. especially hotel. I even have a dream of building a hotel, even a chain of hotels in the future. However, spending 3-4 years more on studying Hospitality Management seems to be a tough decision to me at the moment. (I think if I want to own a hotel, I should study Hospitality Management?) One of the reason is that I have a big family to worried about, I cannot continue to blow my parents' money for my study as such, because they have worked so hard for years to feed their children and now they are even unemployed after we moved to HCM city. Therefore, I think I will not study Hospitality Management after I finish my current study but finding a job in the field that I am majoring in, PR, first and foremost. Needless to say, I still have that big dream because I know hotel will be always my big love, dream place to work. In brief, my career plan is to working in PR for a big hotel before I can establish my own hotel. To be able to find that position, I think I have to work for a hotel in any position. That's why I have a plan to participate in "Work & Travel in USA" program in summer 2013, working in a hotel for a year so that I can learn the way how hotel is running in a developing country, America, and improve my English at the same time. During this time in Vietnam (from now to summer 2013), I will learn more, practice then work in PR in order to save up money for my trip the next two years (actually 1 and a half). Do you think my plan of working in America for a year is a good choice. Also, When and Where do you think I should study Hospitality Management to make my dream come true?

So.. I have just finished. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Once again, I would like to say a big thank-you to Anphabe for opening such a great topic. I hope that other members will find the answer for their own career plans here as well. Thank you for sharing with us, Mr. Chris Harvey. I really admire you for what you have done for Vietnamworks and hope that Anphabe as well as Vietnamworks will continue to develop more and more, contributing to the Human Resouce development in Vietnam.

Rosie

Answer6 hZWZl5Vml2yXlZeExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hycKBXpaiZrKmhqKCHa6RqnHJYl6OnnNaslc2UWZ-rbmSch5WVlJyEoddqmXOGxMXX09iQnspToZugZmvjtQ..

Have something to say?

Join Anphabe for free to share and get shared on your own business topics.

Answers

• Chris Harvey's picture
    Chris Harvey

Wow Rosie, I’m typing this from 5000 meters over Hanoi and I can feel your passion from here! You are lucky to know so clearly what industry turns you on.

My advice for you? Do! You will learn a million times more from doing than you will from studying. Where you study, and what you study, doesn’t matter much compared to doing.

Identify some hotels where you want to work and approach them. Go to those hotels and talk to the staff. Put your best business clothes on. Prepare your story about how you can help them. Explain what value you can provide to them. Tell them that your dream is to work in the hotel business.

Do this again and again until you find a hotel that will hire you as an intern. Many hotels will reject you – keep going! If you do this I guarantee you will find a job and have an exciting career in the hotel industry.

Remember, unsuccessful people fail once or twice and give up. Successful people know that each failure brings them one step closer to success. You are sure to win whatever you want with your passion and positive attitude! Let me know what happens...

hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hybqBXlaGnsJqqW23YampqhZ2kpp6nrMGcmoZrqp5sblKXm5yYhp_VoJxqg5rH19HVw8-VV6GaoGKhs60.
    • hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJiUaoObydbWpNLZqJrYc9um2qWeroyxgVpz2W9qbVaplqqan9hSbJGdaXCtqG1snFWX0qOuyaqTmcaHn9SemJyImWaZcIae3-A.
    hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJeYaoOgydel0tHTlqPad9Wk01hr2XKab1qox6eVoKdbcJlzZJ-rpGqccliTo6aqx6WVzZRZn6tuZJyHmZecm4Sh12qac4bS2dHJ2JCqz5WIbdlwY6BamWZtWqGysQ..
  • Phat Minh Tran's picture
    Phat Minh Tran

.Rosie,

.after reading such a passionate story about your dream, i believe you will eventually make it come true, for someone like you who put serious thoughts in this career planning topic

.your story reminds me of two girls i know who participated in the "Work & Travel in USA" program as well .but i don't think they signed up because "operating a hotel" was their initial dreams .they did it because this Hospitality Management course was a trend for college students 2-3 years ago

.anyway, about "working in a hotel for a year so that I can learn the way how hotel is running in a developing country, America" that i suggest you should rethink twice .i know how the girls worked there .and it's not like you picture how nice it would be .if you want to get professional experiences, try working in hotels in HCM like A&E Hotels, or Tân Hải Vân/Tân Hải Long Hotels .their hotel models are proven successful in HCM .if you wanna operate your own hotel, that's where I think you should start up .and if you still doubt about their managing abilities, go working at Sofitel, Caravelle, or Sheraton, they provide international services and surely you will learn a lot of experience in there

.sometimes oversea business models might not work well at other countries

.that’s all I think, Rosie .the final decision is yours .other than that, Mr. Harvey will give you a more accurate and professional guidance

.Minh

hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hybqBXlaGnsJqqW23YampqhZ2kpp6nrMGcmoZrqp5sblKXmZeThp_VoJxqg5rH19HVw8-VV6GaoGKhs60.
    • hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJiUaoObydbWpNLZqJrYc9um2qWeroyxgVpz2W9qbVaplqqan9hSbJGdaXCtqG1snFWX0qOuyaqTmcaHn9SemJyImWSUa4ae3-A.
    hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJeYaoOgydel0tHTlqPad9Wk01hr2XKab1qox6eVoKdbcJlzZJ-rpGqccliTo6aqx6WVzZRZn6tuZJyHmZWXloSh12qac4bS2dHJ2JCqz5WIbdlwY6BalmZoWqGysQ..
  • Rosie Vu's picture
    Rosie Vu

Hi Phat Minh Tran,

It's been for a while but I always remember you since the day I joined Anphabe and started my very first questions.:)

In terms of the Work & Travel program, it's 1 year left before I decide to go (starting time for registeration is the end of 2012). I myself want to ask for as much advice as possible before making the final decision too. Thank you so much for sharing with me the story of these two girls and giving me your own advice.:) You know, the idea of working in another country, as I think, is for broadening the oppoturnity for me to work for big hotels as you named in Vietnam - Sheraton, Catavelle, Sofitel,... or others like Intercontinential, Renaissance Riverside, etc. Perhaps I wouldn't apply much of the foreign business model, I suppose there are still many other trivial things, what I learn from, that somehow would help.

Anyways, I'm curious about how "it's not like you picture how nice it would be" when your friends were working there.:) Actually, I haven't found much information about this program yet since I have few other things needed to be dealed first at the moment. Any sharing on this is welcomed.:)

Rosie

hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hybqBXlaGnsJqqW23YampqhZ2kpp6nrMGcmoZrqp5sblKXmZeUhp_VoJxqg5rH19HVw8-VV6GaoGKhs60.
    • hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJiUaoObydbWpNLZqJrYc9um2qWeroyxgVpz2W9qbVaplqqan9hSbJGdaXCtqG1snFWX0qOuyaqTmcaHn9SemJyImWSUbIae3-A.
    hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJeYaoOgydel0tHTlqPad9Wk01hr2XKab1qox6eVoKdbcJlzZJ-rpGqccliTo6aqx6WVzZRZn6tuZJyHmZWXl4Sh12qac4bS2dHJ2JCqz5WIbdlwY6BamWZoWqGysQ..
  • Tâm Duyên's picture
    Tâm Duyên

Hi Rosie,

I think I can see your your dream as it was mine 20 yrs ago.
    I fully agree with what Chris & Phat Minh suggested to you. There are many opportunites in the hotel industry for working & studying if you determined to commit yourself. From my knowledge & experience in this field, it's so interesting in Hospitality Management study, but working in it could be a challenge. It requires your attitude,behaviour and appearance must be in professional manner all times. Beside that, many complex issues involved various customers would cause you very pressured.
    I saw the ads of "work & travel in US" program from local newspapers in Australia over 10 yrs ago and now it's going to VN. My question is "Why it looks for people in other countries for this program ?
    So, I suggest you find out all related information before making decision and think carefully, rationally with your actions plan. Good luck

hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hybqBXlaGnsJqqW23YampqhZ2kpp6nrMGcmoZrqp5sblKXnpWWhp_VoJxqg5rH19HVw8-VV6GaoGKhs60.
    • hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJiUaoObydbWpNLZqJrYc9um2qWeroyxgVpz2W9qbVaplqqan9hSbJGdaXCtqG1snFWX0qOuyaqTmcaHn9SemJyImWmSboae3-A.
    hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJeYaoOgydel0tHTlqPad9Wk01hr2XKab1qox6eVoKdbcJlzZJ-rpGqccliTo6aqx6WVzZRZn6tuZJyHmZqVmYSh12qac4bS2dHJ2JCqz5WIbdlwZKBanGdsaYhwsbA.
  • Rosie Vu's picture
    Rosie Vu

Dear Mrs. Tam,

Firstly, thank you so much for valuable information and advice. I am happy that my dream reminds you of something when you were about my age. That's an interesting experience, I guess.:)

Well, when I read your advice, I immediately remembered an article that I read on Linkedin the other day, which says PR pro ranks 2nd as most stressful jobs, according to a study in America, in 2011 ( sorry because I don't remember exactly who studied this). And I was like: "Well.. I hope it isn't true for a PR-in-house position in a hotel".:)

Anyways, I am grateful that somehow, I got some extreme valuable pieces of advice and answers for my questions, which I am happy that I asked.:) I will notice about what you said that "many complex issues involved various customers would cause you very pressured". I will prepare myself for that, and of course, take further than second thought on every decision that I will ever make in the future (including examining few different advices jusk like now). By the way, since all of you told me the same thing about work & travel program, perhaps I know what to do next.:)

I probably will stop right here and continue to respond to Mr.Chris Harvey, what I should have done sooner. Lastly, I hope to get continuous sharing, advice and support from you all. I highly appreciate your spending so much time helping me. Wish you all the best!

Rosie

hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hybqBXlaGnsJqqW23YampqhZ2kpp6nrMGcmoZrqp5sblKXnpiWhp_VoJxqg5rH19HVw8-VV6GaoGKhs60.
    • hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJiUaoObydbWpNLZqJrYc9um2qWeroyxgVpz2W9qbVaplqqan9hSbJGdaXCtqG1snFWX0qOuyaqTmcaHn9SemJyImWmVboae3-A.
    hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJeYaoOgydel0tHTlqPad9Wk01hr2XKab1qox6eVoKdbcJlzZJ-rpGqccliTo6aqx6WVzZRZn6tuZJyHmZqYmYSh12qac4bS2dHJ2JCqz5WIbdlwY6BamWZoWqGysQ..
  • Rosie Vu's picture
    Rosie Vu

Um, I think I will take time to read the rest of Mr. Chris's answers on Anphabe before writing for him (I read few but not yet finished the whole entire, also some articles on 'the blog')...:)

hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUr98qKellJ--oJ_Tj6PNo5mMrs7PxrDF3N-wn8KdpcbWzNPUU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWVtb1qlm9CVcpPXoaWgfYeArlVx12ptnlqkkdTG0dSGn8Ogl2rcrJ6Uk52Gy5-pz6XfkdqvoMtan6hybqBXlaGnsJqqW23YampqhZ2kpp6nrMGcmoZrqp5sblKXnpiXhp_VoJxqg5rH19HVw8-VV6GaoGKhs60.
    • hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJiUaoObydbWpNLZqJrYc9um2qWeroyxgVpz2W9qbVaplqqan9hSbJGdaXCtqG1snFWX0qOuyaqTmcaHn9SemJyImWmVb4ae3-A.
    hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsm2pTcdGrrZenVW7VbW6eUp3Zppeky9TSg5_XnJeYaoOgydel0tHTlqPad9Wk01hr2XKab1qox6eVoKdbcJlzZJ-rpGqccliTo6aqx6WVzZRZn6tuZJyHmZqYmoSh12qac4bS2dHJ2JCqz5WIbdlwY6BamWZoWqGysQ..
hZWZl5Vml2yXlZiExaBkb-GkoGOYcFLJpMWoq4DHo5ifmatXc6xsmGVrUqeqq6KWn4_QoqrNlqDHmaiZ0dPDxMnS1svWjK2a3tyu0sXKU3DZa55siJyl1JvYnqemiHCnbWZsb1qcodqepYXRqpuTmYGi1pyczZOY2KGjnoSg15uanoTWxaLCpteFncSelmuw464.
Lazy Load...